References from the book
The interviews with “Players” mentioned in the book can be found on the blog here.
Here are some of the key references in Screw Work Let’s Play:
- Chris Guillebeau: The Art of Non-Conformity
- Bompas & Parr: Jellymongers
- Petra Barran: Choc star
- Sarah de Nordwall: A Bard with a Bard School
- Derek Sivers: Sivers.org. His former company is CD Baby
- Richard Branson: Richard’s book Business Stripped Bare
- Pat Kane: theplayethic.com, Pat’s book The Play Ethic
- Tim Smit: My interview with Tim, The Eden Project
- Innocent Drinks has a great story on how they decided to quit their job and they’ve created a superb company culture too.
- Google.org is the not for profit arm of Google.
- Brian Sutton Smith: Brian’s book The Ambiguity of Play.
- Daniel Pink is a great writer on the new world of work. I like The Adventures of Johnny Bunko and A Whole New Mind in particular.
- Steve Jobs: his wonderful commencement speech is now a classic
- Sonja Lyubomirsky: Her book The How of Happiness and website
- Sir Ken Robinson gave one of my favourite TED talks and wrote the book How Finding your Passion Changes Everything
- Roger Hamilton: check out the Wealth Dynamics personality system
- Impact Hub: A network of shared workspaces for social entrepreneurs around the world
- Lea Woodward: locationindependent.com and locationindependentparents.com
- Brian Eno: Producer, musician, artist, campaigner and thinker. His website and his book A Year with Swollen Appendices which is a diary he kept for a year. He has produced several U2 and Coldplay albums amongst others and is involved in the Long Now project.
- Barbara Sher coined the term “Scanners” which inspired the event I ran in London for 6 years called Scanners Night (no longer running but you can see the Scanners Night website).
- Joseph Campbell: Wrote several books on myth, the hero’s journey and ‘following your bliss’
- Eric Schmidt: Book from the Google CEO – How Google Works
- Melissa Pierce’s film project Life in Perpetual Beta
You can listen to interviews with successful players on the blog here.
Check out additional articles, audio and video for Join The Play Revolution here.