Last year, Screw Work Let’s Play hit the bestseller lists, was raved about in The Times – twice – and this year, it’s being translated into Dutch, Italian and Korean. But we’ve only just started. This year we’re stepping the Play Revolution up a gear and we want you to join us.
Wherever you are – still trying to find out which work feels like play to you, making your escape from the 9 to 5, starting your own business, or changing what you’re currently doing to get better results for less effort – it’ll be a lot easier if you don’t try to do it all on your own.
Here’s how to join the Play Revolution and connect with others to make 2011 the year you get paid to play.
- First off, get yourself a playbook – a notebook to carry everywhere to capture your ideas on how to get paid to play wherever they occur to you – in bed, on the bus, or in the shower.
- Don’t worry about goals and New Year resolutions. Instead, choose a Play Project – something you can do in 4 weeks that you will enjoy doing, produces a tangible result to show for it, and moves you one step closer to getting paid for doing something you love. Set a deadline to share your results with others and stick to it. Read why Play Projects are so powerful. (There’s more on Play Projects in Secret 3 of Screw Work Let’s Play, “How to get started right now”)
- Blog your progress: If you can do so without getting yourself into trouble at your current work, write a blog about your journey. Grab the Screw Work Let’s Play revolution badge for your blog’s sidebar and encourage others to join in.
- Connect with others on twitter: use the hashtag #paidtoplay to share your news, blog posts, and ask questions of other players.
- Get yourself a team to play with – start a group to work through the book, or find at least one buddy who also wants to change their work. Schedule to meet up every 2-4 weeks. Share successes, commiserate over setbacks, and hold each other accountable to keep moving forward. Here’s why.
- Play Wednesday: every week, take a little time on Wednesday to live the way you really want to live – even if you have to squeeze it into some stolen time outside of work to start with. If you want to be a writer, write. If you want to be an internet entrepreneur, use the time to play out your idea online. Share what you’re doing on the day on twitter or on your blog. Then grow this small taste month by month to make it a larger part of your life.
- And finally… grab the free Playkit below
Download the Playkit
If you don’t have it already, download the free Playkit which includes a chapter of the book, worksheets for finding work you love, and an audio class on getting paid to play. Just enter your email address below. You’ll also receive weekly updates from us on the Play Revolution and hints and tips to help you on the way (you can unsubscribe at any time with one click and your address will never be shared).